This assignment is your opportunity to design an evidence-supported therapy group that demonstrates comprehension of the elements of group leadership, group development, and group process that have been reviewed throughout the semester. Students will create a proposal of a group curriculum that could be implemented in a current practicum agency or the agency where they expect to/ want to complete their practicum in the future. Students will develop a PowerPoint to be presented in VoiceThread; each student will record presentations of 25 to 30 minutes that demonstrates the thoughtful application of the course concepts and a developed understanding of the way their clinical education intersects with their practicum system.
- Identify the agency, the population the agency works with (or the population you plan to work with for the group) and the agency’s mission statement. Briefly explain the agency and mission statement to the class.
- Identify a gap in services or care within the agency that your group will address. This can be a real or imagined gap.
- Describe the purpose of your group. Explain the type of group you will hold and explain how it will work. How many leaders will there be? How many members?
- Describe the composition of your group. Will it be heterogeneous or homogeneous? In what ways? How will you determine if someone is appropriate for your group? How many members will there be? How many leaders? (use the Yalom, 2006 text to inform your thinking)
- Describe the structure of your group. What are the temporal arrangements for your group (ie. time of day, duration of each meeting, frequency of the meeting)? What are the physical space arrangements for your group? Will there be a fee to attend the group? Explain your rationale.
- Describe your recruitment and preparation plans. How will you recruit members to your group? How will you orient and prepare potential group members?
- Describe the group content. What will take place in each group session? What content will be present? Present your group meeting content and plan for at least 5 group sessions. (note, this section is worth more points than other sections and you should spend more time on this)
- Describe your plans to evaluate the effectiveness of your group in meeting your goals. How will you determine if your group has met its goals? (Note: you should find and use an evidence-supported tool to do this and support your decision with research. For example, a pre-test and post-test. Please be clear in identifying an evaluation tool and explain why you chose this tool)
- Your presentation should include video/sound and a PowerPoint. Consider this to be a presentation that would convince your viewer to enact your group in the agency setting.
- The PowerPoint should use APA style to include citations on the slides and a references page.
- You should refer to the Yalom text used this semester to help you design your group; you should also use significant academic resources from the syllabus and from your own research. All of the decisions you make should be supported by research.